Friday, September 15, 2006

this week

Well, it's been just over a week since I got here and the apartment hunting is in full swing. I have already looked at about 6 different apartments in 3 different buildings, all in Prenzlauer Berg. There is one unit I am particularly interested in at this point. The first ones were nice but a little far away from where I'd like to be. The last ones I looked at were in a great area but had crappy kitchens (no oven! what the... ?), but in the second building I looked at, just a 5 minute walk from here, the bottom unit is really super nice. It's all brand new inside and the building itself is also newly renovated. It looks like I am only going to be able to afford a studio type apartment in the area that I want to be in. Of course, I just had to pick one of the most expensive parts of Berlin! (though it's still cheap compared to Seattle or Los Angeles!). The unit I like is well within my price range and will leave plenty left over to furnish it and take care of other things that will be needed to make it liveable. I admit, I am a very over-eager and hasty person and really want to buy this unit now.... but I promised to look in the paper tomorrow and Sunday to see if anything better shows up.

Aside from all this apartment hunting business, I have been thoroughly enjoying the beautiful weather we are having here. It's been sunny and warm (but not TOO warm) every day. It's so nice to go outside and have a walk around. There are a few places we are becoming regular customers at... There is Anna Bluma a couple blocks away and I think another block from there is Maibach, which has the best salads.

Going to meet up with some Bowie-fan friends on Saturday in Kreuzberg. I've never been there, so I'm looking forward to seeing something new.


me at Starbucks in the Hackescher Markt area

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I hope you find the perfect place at the perfect price.
WTF with the no oven thing?

Secret Chicken said...

I dunno... there were just two "warmers" or whatever you call it... I think the place was mainly intended as a vacation apartment where people only stay for a week or a few days.

Unknown said...

but...but....
Why would anybody buy an apartment to use so infrequently? apartments either need stoves or hook-ups so you can buy your own stove.

Secret Chicken said...

well it doesn't matter because I found the PERFECT place today.