Tuesday, May 29, 2007

yikes!

We have been having some of the most hellacious thunder storms I have ever seen. Right now, the rain is so heavy that I can't see the other building's balconies across the courtyards very clearly. The thunder and lightning is incessant and startling. Over the past several days, we have had so many of these. It's especially unusual because the day could start out very warm and sunny... then hours later it's almost as dark as dusk and pouring buckets. It's sort of exciting, although I wouldn't want to be out in it. Last night we stayed so long at this Irish Pub called Killkennys (I think?) because the storm outside seemed to never end.

EEk there was just now a sudden crash of thunder which made me jump. I wonder if it sounded similar when Berlin was being bombed in WWII.

3 comments:

valleymom said...

Sounds like summertime in gold old New Jersey! We always had a lot of rain, but also the kind of ear-cracking thunderstorm and lightning you're talking about! Growing up in southern California has obviously "spoiled" you! My advice: invest in a good umbrella (I seem to remember buying you one before you went to London the first time!) Also water-proof shoes/boots would help! Upside: it keeps the trees green and the flowers blooming!

vailian said...

It is strange, but no one in Europe wears rubber boots, except little kids or people who walk in water professionally.

valleymom said...

People living in Europe must spend a lot on shoes.....
in my experience, shoes that get wet frequently have a short life. Strange indeed.