Saturday, May 05, 2007

Sooooo I'm here Hello Berlin

I arrived on Thursday evening and I feel that Berlin has welcomed me with open arms. As sad as I was to leave Seattle, I haven't felt a touch of homesickness since I have been in Berlin. At least not yet anyhow.

Today I went to register with the "police", which I guess isn't really the police, it just seems to be a government place that keeps records of people that live here. I'm still a little weak on the German terminology for this, but as much as I had the impression that this would be a royal pain in the ass, it really wasn't. We didn't have to wait very long and I ended up leaving with a big grin on my face because the lady who entered my info into the computer said "Jetzt sind Sie eine Berlinerin" (now you are a Berliner!).

Monday I meet with the attorney, etc. to start the application process. I've got a 10 lb stack of papers in hopes that I have covered all bases and that anything they want documentation of, I've got on hand right away.

Technical stuff aside, it has been a pleasant surprise at how nice the weather here is. I feel like I'm back in California. (minus the smog etc.)

Tonight we are going to a Depeche Mode party. Wooo!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad it's all going smoothly.
Sad you had to move FURTHER away instead of closer, though. Looks like I'm never going to meet the famous sQ!

Secret Chicken said...

Not true moosey, New Orleans is still on my list of places to see! :)

Unknown said...

Congrats on the move, Paula! That is so exciting and fantastic. One of my best friends is moving from Minnesota to Spain in a few weeks... I'm sure that she's going to go through all those different emotions that you mentioned. Happily, I'm going to get to see her before she leaves.