Friday, January 26, 2007

snowy

Well it's been over 2 weeks since I arrived in Berlin and I have completely neglected this blog. Work has been very busy and I am also taking night classes to learn German at the Goethe Institute. The grammar is such a bitch. But I'm having fun anyway. On top of that, I've had to squeeze in time to get more things for the apartment, such as a TV, shower curtain, etc. etc.

There is this very cool photography book out recently called Schoenhauser Strasse http://schoenhauser-strasse.de/index.html. The photos are of the area all around where I live and where I spend most of my time. Not to mention, there is a photo of my boyfriend Kent's mom in it. I am going to get a copy of it and bring it home to show everyone what I see every day.

It is snowing and I love it. Even though I have a home in Seattle, I spent most of my life in Los Angeles where snow is pretty much non-existent. Because of this, it is quite exciting to me and I am enjoying watching the snowflakes floating all around from the window at my desk. I'm sure most people who are used to snow will disagree and find it more of a nuisance than anything.


View from the window.

7 comments:

Clarsonimus said...

Welcome back! You got lucky, I'm sure you've heard how incredibly mild it's been here this winter - this is the first real snow, believe it or not.

Clarsonimus said...

Sorry, forgot something. LA? I'm from "near" there. Know what you mean about snow. Try this link (if it works):

http://www.radioblogclub.com/fav/0/1652805/0

Clarsonimus said...

Last try (sorry) - I actually wanted to link to LA Woman there. It's there somewhere... <;-)

vailian said...

Drat! I was in Berlin last week and hoping for snow, but it waited till I left!
Still, it was nice to wander around the area, I have old friends who live in a great apartment in the Kollwitzstrasse, in a typical East German fashion they started squatting there in the late 80s and now cannot be removed, and pay only a nominal rent, while the yuppies in the same building have to pay small fortunes every month.

Wieland said...

Liebe Sigrid Hühnchen,
ich bin der Verleger von "Schonhauser Strasse", I am the publisher of Schoenhauser and I'm glad to see you happe with this book. Who ist your friends mother? On which page do I find her? And what street do you think we should ask Stephan Maria the photografer to do next?
All the best
Wieland
Giebel@BerlinStory.de
www.BerlinStory.de

Secret Chicken said...

clarsonimus, where near L.A. are you from? looks like we're back to just rain again. blah.

vailian, I stayed in an apt on Kollwitzstrasse the last time I was here, I wonder how close to your friends that is. It was right near Danziger Str.

wieland, I love that book! I would love to get it signed by the author too. I will send you an email shortly.

vailian said...

my friends live in a house that has some sort of Wellness Center on the ground floor, next door to the Screenplay Writing School.. other friends live right on the corner of Danziger and Kollwitzstr.